Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Mustard as a Souvenir

Not only do I prefer their cars, but I prefer Europe's cutting edge mustards, too.  I picked up a few varieties as a souvenir. I've been putting mustard on pizza, pretzels, fingertips---and on Sunday, I used some in the most amazing butternut squash sauce for our pasta.

DSCN8788

(I like how the one that looks like a tube of toothpaste, don't you?) I know I should be pacing myself, but I've got the fever. Mustard fever. And the only cure for it is more mustard.

P.S. Want the pasta sauce recipe?

Butternut Sauce

1 butternut squash, cut into two-inch cubes (I bought the pre-cut ones at Costco)
1 can chicken broth
3 cloves of minced garlic
olive oil
3 tablespoons of grated parmesan cheese
3 tablespoons of brown or dijon mustard 
4 tablespoons brown sugar
salt
pepper

Directions
Put squash in an oven-safe pot or crock pot and drizzle it with olive oil, then add salt and pepper. Dump all the other ingredients in and stir together, then roast in a 250-degree oven (or the low setting on the crock pot) for at least 4 hours, or until the squash is completely mushy and the house smells good. Use a hand blender (zhuzher) or regular blender to blend it all together, making it creamy in texture. Serve over pasta (or add another can or two of chicken broth and eat it as a soup).

10 comments:

Kari said...

I can eat squash everyday, I love it! So, I'm thrilled about a new squash recipe. Thanks!

Unknown said...

The recipe looks delicious! We went to Austria this summer and brought mustard home too. Should have bought more, because now it's gone.

Melanie said...

My husband's mom is Swiss, so whenever she goes back the family always requests random things ... including mustard! And it even comes in a little tube! You're much better to think it looks like toothpaste - I've always thought it looked like a Desitin bottle. And your recipe sounds delicious! I'll have to send you my friend's recipe for pork with a mustard cream sauce. mmmmm.

Becky said...

I don't think I could eat mustard out of a toothpaste tube. And I LOVE mustard. Thanks for the recipe! :)

kami @ nobiggie.net said...

yum! Those sound so good. Edible souvies are my favorite!

Mia said...

That sounds delicious! I even think my kids would like it.

Unknown said...

I adore butternut squash and interesting mustards. This recipe sounds fab.

And I'm more than a little jealous you got to go to Europe with your hubby.

Suzie said...

I am so going to try this recipe.
Sounds nummy!

I'm thinking that tube may be a good April Fools Day joke on someone about to brush their teeth.
(ya know, in the dark)

Omgirl said...

You wanna taste something super delicious? Slather some of that mustard on top of your meatloaf before baking, instead of ketchup. AMAZING.

Kelly Sparrow said...

Mustard! Too funny. Matt goes to Germany and brings back candy. And candy that you can buy here! He thinks it's more 'authentic' if you buy it over there.

Related Posts with Thumbnails