Tuesday, August 25, 2009

The Beach Makes Me Philosophical


It's a marvelous thing to sit at the edge of land, look out into an endless ocean, and contemplate your self.  To take a look around at all the dusty corners of your being, all at once accepting them and committing them to improvement.  To look at the crashing waves and remember that life's problems are so similar--regular, temporary, and part of a beautiful pattern.  To be removed from buildings, appliances, and devices we fear we can't live without.  To share fresh air and frivolity with your loved ones.  To dig holes.  To lie open-armed in the sun, receiving its warmth.  To not know what time it is.  To sit still.  To refresh.  To be.

And it's even better if you do all of this with a giant bucket of french fries.

15 comments:

Alyssa said...

Again, I am in sugar, sand, sun and salt withdrawals. Oh, and friend withdrawal too. For some reason I woke up with Max's voice in my head saying "wait a second . . ."

Dede said...

I am incredibly envious. In fact, I don't think I can read your blog anymore. All I have wanted to do this summer is go to the beach. Heck, I'll even take a swimming pool. Then, I go to your blog and you are at the beach or swimming pool everyother day. You just wait until winter when we are waist high in snow...then you'll be jealous. Oh wait-no you won't.

Leslie said...

Is that Ryan and the boys with Maria again? :)

Miss you. You're really making me wish we had made that day trip!

Christy said...

So profound!
I can't believe how tan you are

Hildie said...

The beach makes me horny.

Kim said...

I just got back from one of those trips. My mother in law has a quote in her kitchen, "how wonderful to do nothing and rest afterward". That was the basis of the trip...do nothing and enjoy the peace.

Susie, Susie Homemaker said...

Everytime I'm at the beach I stand in the water facing out reflecting upon the fact that I'm on the very edge of a country. I find it both exhilarating and humbling.

Kellybee said...

I hope you had fry sauce for your fries...particularly fry sauce from Apollo burgers...oh wait...that's just a Utah thing...I guess you'll just have to come visit to get some.

kami @ nobiggie.net said...

I am green with envy right now. How lucky you are my friend.

Now I'm off to go get some fries. ;)

Becky said...

What a great picture!!! Great beach too!

Jesse C said...

Oh, dang now I really wish we had made it to the beach.

Next time for sure...

Mia said...

Philosophical with a side of fries! What could be better?

Anonymous said...

Amen Sister

tiburon said...

Damn you! Now I want a beach. And some fries. And your legs.

Anonymous said...

That was so calming. I do need to come with you to the beach and eat fries. And btw you are very tan.

Related Posts with Thumbnails